Sunday, 9 March 2014

Healthy Banana Coconut Cake!

Hey Foodies!

In my opinion there are few things more comforting that the smell of freshly baked banana bread! 

Yesterday I was really craving a slice but had no sugar and no butter to my name. 

After a little research I stumbled upon this recipe on Nigella.com which I took some inspiration from to make this no butter, no sugar banana and coconut cake!


And if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty darn good. 

Incredibly simple and quick - this is a winner to crack those banana bread cravings :)


Ingredients 

1/2 cup oil ( I used extra virgin olive)
2 eggs
2 large ripe bananas
1 cup raisins
1 cup coconut (half for inside the cake, half for topping)
2 cups self raising flour
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons of milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence 

1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (gas mark 4). Grease either a loaf tin or, as I used, a round cake tin. Line with greaseproof paper. 

2) Mash the bananas and simply mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl! Yes, it is very simple. Pour into your tin.

3) Bake for 40-60 minutes, depending on your oven. The coconut should brown nicely on top, check to see if cooked using a skewer which should come out cleanly. 

4) Leave to cool (if you can wait) and then serve up! I think it would be gorgeous served with some fresh berries. 



This has a really lovely, moist flavour - the honey, bananas and raisins give the cake a natural sweetness and the toasted coconut gives the cake a subtle nutty flavour. 

If you fancy lowering the natural sugar levels, feel free to either reduce or cut out the honey or raisins. I think lemon peel would also be a great addition. 

This is a great excuse to make banana bread any old time, especially as you are guaranteed to feel pretty virtuous afterwards!

4 comments:

  1. I thought that this was a crumble when I first saw it. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say, that does look really good! Think I'll have to get my partner to give it a go - good post. CyclingD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just had two big slices of this - really, really good. Love the coconut on it. Just a little bit too 'moreish'..........Good post! CyclingD

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you guys! Feel free to let me know what is on your mind :)