Saturday, 9 November 2013

Super-foods Chocolate Mousse!

Hi Foodies!

If you are anything like me, chocolate features pretty high on your eating agenda... while I'm not saying I have chocolate every day I do get those inevitable cravings for the sweet stuff. 

I have really wanted to try out avocado mousse for a long time and using this recipe as inspiration, I just pumped up the nutrients a little adding a good teaspoon of spirulina ( a fab source of vegan protein). This is a great way to satisfy any cravings for something really sweet and sludgy, but in a MUCH healthier way. Yes, it may not look to pretty but sure tastes fab!


This recipe is AMAZING. The similarity this thick and sweet mousse has to super-dark luxury chocolate mousse is uncanny - I think it is so good I would happily use it as a thick icing for on top of cake - it really is THAT good. Think a healthy Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake icing (almost!).

It may not look that pretty, but it sure tastes out of this world and it so good for you!
Ingredients for 2 medium portions

1 avocado (as ripe as you can wait)
1/2 large very ripe banana
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup cocoa
Pinch of salt and a large pinch of cinnamon 
1 teaspoon spirulina (optional) 



Simply mash well together - if you have a food processor I would recommend using it as my arm got a little tired after combining this lot!

Some alternative recommendations:

For more protein you could add in some extra protein powder, more spirulina or for more nutrients you could mix in some superfood antioxidant mix - the choices are pretty endless.
For a lighter mousse splash in some milk or water and mix well - and for a thicker mousse add more cocoa, a tablespoon at a time.
Serve alone or with some fruit - I think raspberries would go perfectly :)


And there we go! So simple! This would keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days but definitely chill for at least an hour before eating... if you can wait that long!

Happy Eating :)

P.S
If you fancy a naughtier but still just as nice chocolate mousse check out my other recipe post for simple and easy chocolate mousse :) 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! At first glance, I was like this looks like some really good chocolate you have (I was thinking ofnutella for some reason) and I was shocked to see that you put an avocado in! I love avocados and i know how healthy they are so this sounds like it would be a tasty and healthy treat!


    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey yeah it is nearly just avocado only! Try it out it really is fab (although not quite Nutella :P )

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you guys! Feel free to let me know what is on your mind :)