Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Ottolenghi's Sweet Potato Cakes with Chilli Dip & Greens

Hi Foodies!


This week I tried out a new recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi's gorgeous book Plenty - his super simple yet gorgeous sweet potato cakes. 

These are really lovely and take hardly any effort, and actually very few ingredients! I don't  know about you but when I flick through recipes from Ottolenghi I can get a little intimidated by the amazing pictures and (on first glance) fairly long ingredient lists, so I am beginning with something quite simple! Being mostly sweet potato, these cakes are almost entirely vegetable with just a few healthy & yummy additions :)

I must admit I feel like I post a lot of 'savoury cake' type recipes on this blog (such as my chickpea & falafel burgerssuper easy veggie burgers or my breadless salmon cakes) but these little beauties are my favourites so far. I also whipped up a quick dip of my own making which I will explain below.  

Brussel sprouts are optional I promise! I just really love them :)


 Ingredients for 6-8 small cakes

1 KG peeled and chopped into large chunks of sweet potatoes
2 tsp soy sauce
100 g (possibly more) of plain flour
1 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 tsp caster sugar
3 tbsp spring onion
1/2 tsp fresh red chilli (more if you prefer things spicy!)
Butter for frying



1) Steam the sweet potatoes until soft and mash-able. Leave to drain in a colander for at least an hour to get rid of most of the liquid.

2) Mix the potatoes in with the rest of the ingredients and mash very well. If the mixture is runny at all - add a little more flour. The cakes should be sticky yet not too wet.

3) Using a tablespoon for each cake, fry each one in some very hot butter for around 6 minutes on each side. Make sure you flatten the cakes with a spoon as they are frying.

4) Place between some kitchen towel to absorb excess butter and there you go! Serve warm or hot :) Like I said, these are pretty damn simple!

My Simple Chilli Mayo Dip

(This dip aint fancy, and you may want to create a 'proper' sauce but this is something you could whip up with things you may well have in your kitchen already)

1 cup of mayo
1 spring onion finely chopped
1 crushed and finely chopped garlic clove
Sprinkle of salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric 
1 heaped teaspoon sweet chilli sauce

Just mix away! Like I said, a very basic sauce, but I felt the cakes needed a little something to have on top and this did the trick in a flash. Leave to marinate for at least an hour.


And there we go! 

So simple & quick and I love that I know exactly what has gone into these cakes, and rather than bought cakes they are not just stuffed with fillers like bread. 


1 small tip - I found that I could add quite a bit more chilli, I would say another half a chilli for sure and I am not a 'spicy' person either so I would definitely recommend adding a little extra. 

Look after yourself, eat & enjoy :) 

2 comments:

  1. I love sweet potato anything. Check out my blog. Maybe we can follow each other since I love looking at food pics and trying new recipes. Peace!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you guys! Feel free to let me know what is on your mind :)